Instructions for configuring your computer to use an Epson ET-8700 printer
The address for the printer in the Snyder lab is "bcs150color.bcs.rochester.edu"
The address for the printer in the CVS MC G-4100 office suite is "cvs001c.urmc-sh.rochester.edu"
Windows 7/10 (64-bit)
1. Download the Epson driver software here: http://www.cvs.rochester.edu/cvspriv/downloads/EpsonET8700/et8700_windows_64bit.exe
2. The file will download to the "Downloads" folder within your user directory. Double-click the file to run it. At the first window set the printer as your default printer IF APPROPRIATE, then click the "OK" button to proceed.
3. Select English as the language, then click the "OK" button.
4. Agree to the license agreement then click "OK".
5. When the "Epson Printer Utilities Setup" window appears, click the "Abort" button to close it. The software will tell you that the search function as terminated, which is okay. Click "OK" to quit the installer.
6. Click on Start -> Devices and Printers. Select the "Add a Printer" option.
2. Select the option "Add a local printer".
3. Click on "Create a new port" and specify the type of port as "LPR Port". Click "Next".
4. On the "Add Printer" page, enter the address of the printer in both fields. Click "Next".
5. In the next window, select "Epson" from the left column, then select "ET-8700" from the right column, then click "Next".
6. For the Printer name, enter something descriptive. Click "Next".
7. In the next window (if it appears), click on "Do not share this printer". Click "Next".
8. In the next window (if it appears), try printing a test page. Click "Next". If the test page comes out, you're good to go!
1. Download the Epson driver software here: https://www.cvs.rochester.edu/cvspriv/downloads/EpsonET8700/et8700_mac.dmg
2. The file will download to the "Downloads" folder within your user directory. Double-click the file to decompress it...it will open a window with the program "Epson Printer.dmg" in it. Double-click the program to run it. The program is simple to install...accept the license agreement, enter your password for the computer when asked, and allow the program to run to completion.
3. Select 'System Preferences' from the Apple menu at the top left corner of the desktop.
4. Click on the 'Print & Fax' preference pane. Once open, click on the'+' button in the bottom left corner of the preference pane. Select the 'IP' icon in the resulting window. Printing protocol should be "LPD".
5. Enter the name of the printer in the "Address" field (see the list of Epson ET-8700 printers at top of this wiki for the address). OSX should report that it's a valid and complete name.
4. If OSX doesn't automatically detect that it's an Epson ET-8700 printer, select the 'Select software' option in the "Use" pull-down menu. In the resulting window find the Epson ET-8700 driver and select it, then close that window.
5. Click the "Add" button to add the printer. That's it!
The various Linux distributions handle the addition of a printer in different ways. These instructions were written for Linux Mint and Ubuntu but may differ slightly from what you see on your desktop
1. Open a terminal window. Type in the command "sudo -s", then enter the password you use to log into the computer. This will give you superuser access.
2. Type in the command "apt-get install lsb" to add Linux Standard Base support. This is necessary to install the Epson drivers.
3. There are two Linux packages you need to install. Download the Epson driver software here:
4. Once downloaded, double-click each file to launch the package installer...they should be in the "Downloads" folder within your home directory. Click on the "Install Package" button once it appears. Do this for both files you downloaded.
5. You now need to go into the "Printers' control panel. Under Linux Mint click on the "Menu" button in the bottom left corner of the desktop, select "Administration", then select the "Printers" control panel. Under Ubuntu click the button in the top left corner of the desktop with the round Ubuntu icon in it and type in "Printers" to find the control panel.
6. In the "Printers" control panel, click the button to add a printer. Under the list of devices click on "Network Printer" to expand the list, then select "LPD/LPR Host or Printer" from the list. In the "Host" field type in "bcs150color.bcs.rochester.edu", then click the "Probe" button. Once it's done probing, click the "Forward" button.
7. Linux should now automatically search for the correct driver, find it, and install it. If it does not, then you should be shown a database of printer drivers. Select "Epson" from the list on the left then click "Forward". in the next window, select "ET-8700" from the list, then click "Forward".
8. The next window allows you to name the printer and describe it. Enter "BCS150Color" as the short name for the printer. The other two description boxes are optional...enter something if you'd like. Once done click the "Apply" button.
9. You should now see an option for printing a test page. Do so. If the page comes out, you're good to go!