Lexmark C748de printer setup instructions
These instructions are for configuring a Mac or Windows computer to use the Lexmark C748de printer in the BCS 3rd floor office suite.
The address of this printer in the 300 office suite is 'bcs300color.bcs.rochester.edu'.
Step 1: Enabling LPR/LPD support (WINDOWS USERS ONLY)
If you are running Windows, you need to make sure that LPD/LPR printing is enabled on your computer..it's disabled by default. The instructions for enabling it are here: EnableLpdPrinting
Step 2: Download the driver software (MAC AND WINDOWS USERS)
Download and run the correct printer driver installation program. You'll find what you need here:
Mac users: this installer is for OSX 10.6 and newer.
Windows users: select either the 32-bit driver (for Win XP or the 32-bit version of Windows 7/8), or the 64-bit driver (for the 64-bit version of Windows 7/8).
Linux users: Lexmark offers several different Linux drivers for this printer...visit this website and enter 'C748' for the product to find the right driver for you:
As printer installation for Linux varies from distribution to distribution, it'll be up to you to install this driver on your computer.
Step 3: Add the printer to your computer
1. Double-click on the downloaded installation package. A volume called "Lexmark C740 Series" will appear on your desktop. Double-click on the volume to open a window, and then double-click on the "C740Series_Print.pkg" file in that window.
2. The installer is a typical Mac installer...it'll ask you to click continue a few times, then ask for your OSX password, and then it'll install the driver on your computer. Now you need to add the printer.
3. Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of the desktop, then select 'System Preferences'. Click on the 'Print & Fax' preference pane. Once open, click on the'+' button in the bottom left corner of the preference pane and select 'Add Printer or scanner'. Select the 'IP' icon in the resulting window. Printing protocol should be 'LPD'.
4. Enter the address of the printer (bcs300color.bcs.rochester.edu). Do not be stunned if you are running OSX 10.7 or 10.8 and the Mac considers the address invalid...it actually is.
5. OSX will not automatically detect what kind of printer this is. Click on the 'Use:' pull-down menu and select 'Select Printer Software...'. In the resulting window, do a search for 'Lexmark C740 series' and select it. Then click the 'OK' button.
6. Click the 'Add' button to add the printer. You're done.
1. Download and double-click on the appropriate Windows installer. If asked if you want to allow the installer to make changes to the computer, click 'Yes'. The installer will then decompress a large number of files before the actual install begins.
2. In the 'License Agreement' window, click on 'Agree'.
3. In the 'Select Installation Type' window, make sure 'Extract' is selected and the 'Start the Add Print Wizard' option is checkmarked, then click on the 'Install' button.
4. The Windows installer will install the printer drivers to a folder on your computer, then automatically launch the 'Add Printer' wizard.
5. Select the option 'Add a local printer'.
6. Click on 'Create a new port' and specify the type of port as 'LPR Port'. Click the 'Next' button.
7. On the 'Add Printer' page, enter the address of the printer (bcs300color.bcs.rochester.edu) in both fields. Click the 'Next' button.
8. The correct driver (Lexmark C740 Series PS3) should automatically appear in the next screen. If that's the case, then click the 'Next' button.
9. For the Printer name, enter 'BCS300color'. Click the 'Next' button. Windows will now install the printer (it'll take a bit of time).
10. In the next window, click on 'Do not share this printer'. Click the 'Next button.
11. In the next window, print a test page if you like, and set this as your default printer if you like. Click the 'Finish' button.
12. The computer will do what it needs to do, and the printer will be ready to go once the computer is done.
13. By default, your computer will print single-sided only. If you want to do double-sided printing, continue with the following steps.
14. Go into Control Panels and open the "Devices and Printers" control panel. Right-click on the printer's icon and select "Printer Properties" (do not select just "Properties" at the bottom of the menu..."Printer Properties" is in the middle of the menu).
15. In the resulting window, click on the "Configuration" tab. In the bottom left corner of the window, checkmark "Duplexer" so the driver knows the printer can print double-sided. Then click the "Apply" button.
16. Now, click on the "Advanced" tab and then on the "Printing Defaults" button towards the bottom of the window. In the resulting window, you can now set the "Print on Both Sides (Duplex)" option in the bottom left corner to whatever you like. For double-sided printing to be your default, select "Print on both sides" with "Long Edge" binding. Save the changes and you're done.