Xerox WorkCentre 6505 printer setup instructions
These instructions are for configuring a Mac or Windows computer to use the Xerox WorkCentre 6505 multifunction printer.
The address of this printer in the BCS administrative office suite is 'bcs3rdfloor.bcs.rochester.edu'.
The address of the printer in the Kurumada Lab is 'bcs424color.bcs.rochester.edu'.
The address of the printer in the CVS G-4100 suite is 'cvs001b.urmc-sh.rochester.edu'.
Step 1: Enabling LPR/LPD support (WINDOWS USERS ONLY)
If you are running Windows, you need to make sure that LPD/LPR printing is enabled on your computer..it's disabled by default. The instructions for enabling it are here: EnableLpdPrinting
Step 2: Download the driver software (MAC AND WINDOWS USERS)
Download and run the correct printer driver installation program. You'll find what you need here:
For Macs, this installer only adds the printer driver to your computer. You'll need to continue to Step 3 to actually add the printer to your computer. Please note that the installer may open your web browser and direct you to a Xerox website for registering the printer. Please don't do this.
Step 3: Add the printer to your computer
1. Select 'System Preferences' from the Apple menu at the top left corner of the desktop.
2. Click on the 'Print & Fax' preference pane. Once open, click on the'+' button in the bottom left corner of the preference pane. Select the 'IP' icon in the resulting window. Printing protocol should be 'LPD'.
3. Enter the address of the printer you want to use. Do not be stunned if you are running OSX 10.7 or 10.8 and the Mac considers the address invalid...it actually is.
4. OSX will not automatically detect what kind of printer this is. Click on the 'Use:' pull-down menu and select 'Select Printer Software...'. In the resulting window, do a search for 'Xerox WorkCentre 6505', and select the printer 'Xerox WorkCentre6505DN PS vX.XX'. Then click the 'OK' button.
5. Click the 'Add' button to add the printer. That's it!
1. The Windows installer will install the printer drivers to a folder on your computer, then automatically launch the 'Add Printer' wizard. If it does not, or you need to launch the wizard manually, click on 'Start' -> 'Devices and Printers'. Select the 'Add a Printer' option.
2. Select the option 'Add a local printer'.
3. Click on 'Create a new port' and specify the type of port as 'LPR Port'. Click the 'Next' button.
4. On the 'Add Printer' page, enter the address of the printer you want to use in both fields. Click the 'Next' button.
5. Windows will not be able to automatically identify the correct printer driver to install, so click on 'Have Disk'. In the resulting window, click the 'Browse' button. Windows should then show you a file selector with one file in it (called something like 'xrpsmoei'). Double-click on that file, then when the previous window reappears, click the 'OK' button.
6. You should now be shown a list of printers with two options. Click on 'Xerox WorkCentre 6505DN PS' to highlight it, then click the 'Next' button.
6. For the Printer name, enter something descriptive. Click the 'Next' button.
7. In the next window, click on 'Do not share this printer'. Click the 'Next button.
8. In the next window, print a test page if you like. Click the 'Finish' button.
10. The computer will do what it needs to do, and the printer will be ready to go once the computer is done.